Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Returning to the Tao...

My personal study of Taoism has it's roots in my study of the martial arts.

I began training in Tae Kwon Do at the age of 10. I was immediately hooked and fell in love with both Asian martial arts and Asian culture (particularly those of China and Japan).

During my teen years I began looking deeper into Eastern Spirituality.

I immediately fell in love with Taoist philosophy and, to a lesser extent, Zen/Chan Buddhism (which is heavily influence by Taosim). I found a wealth of spiritual and practical knowledge during that time. However, as I moved into my twenties life and other studies somehow got in the way.

Ironically, it was my interest in Asian culture that caused this shift.

You see, along with my passion for the martial arts I also began studying Qigong and learning about the seemingly superhuman feats Shaolin and Wudang warriors. I wanted to be just like them.

So, I began studying more and more esoteric topics in a very strange quest for...well, power. It may seem odd but I really did want to emulate those superhuman kung fu warriors. But that caused me to lose sight of what was really important and started me down a very strange and, ultimately, fruitless path.

Now I find myself on the cusp of 30. I'm married now with a young son and a decent job. I love the martial arts now more than ever. Honestly, life is very good. But there is still something missing.

I think the reality is: I miss the Tao. I've ignored the path for so long but I really do miss the simple yet practical spirituality and philosophy. I miss the meditation and Qigong. I miss reflecting on passages from the Tao Te Ching.

I am ready to return to the Tao.

I'm getting back to meditation. I'm renewing my study/contemplation of Taoist texts. I'm devoting myself once again to the study of Qigong and inner alchemy. I'm no longer worried about being a superhuman kung fu warrior. I just want to focus on what is really important.

"If you want to become full, let yourself become empty."

No comments:

Post a Comment